Thursday, May 3, 2007

"You are the Christ."

Looking back on my first year of seminary at DTS, I am at a loss of words for everything that God has done for me and Brandy. It is hard to believe that we have already made it to this point. It seems like we just moved here!

The latest news is that I quickly received a new job working on campus as a custodian. God has once again proven His faithfulness to me and continues to provide for school and living expenses. Lately, however, Brandy and I have really been challenged to grow in our faith and risk much for the sake of godliness. After everything happened at the church I was working at, we diligently sought the will of God for what I should be doing while going to school. My biggest struggle in my walk is clearly finances and even more pointedly, trusting God.

After I took the job at DTS to retain my semester scholarship, Brandy and I took a week to earnestly seek God’s desire for us with much prayer and fasting. I think that the week went something like this…first, our pastor taught on Romans 8:12-17. We clearly saw that our worries were from the flesh which needs to be put to death, and instead live by the Spirit. In my Greek class, we translated Mark 8:27-38. Verses 35-36 really stuck out.

Those of you who know me well, also know that I am very hard-headed.

I kept asking God to blatantly show me His will for me and Brandy. In another one of my classes, we went through the end of Deuteronomy. It is Moses’ last words to a very stubborn and untrusting Israel. He commands yearly feasts so that they and their children will always remember how faithful God has been to them, keeping all of His promises. It displays Moses’ lack of faith, and his commissioning of Joshua. The command given to Joshua still rings loudly in my ears, “Do not fear…be strong and courageous.”

Still not convinced of what we should do, our class revisited some central themes to Deuteronomy, namely chapters 6-11 and what it means to love the Lord with all your heart, all your mind, and all your soul. We dissected Deut 33:26-29, and my prof gave one of his famous quotes, “What God has done in the past is a model and a pattern of what He will do in the future.” After all this Brandy and I had decided to take one more day to solidify our convictions. Would you guess what one of the graduating students taught on in Chapel? Yep, Mark 8:27-38. Him and his wife came to DTS from Singapore with no money and were about to go back to pastor a church there debt-free. One thing that he said was that verses 34-38 naturally flow from Peter’s statement that Jesus is the Christ. What does it mean that Jesus really is the King, possessor of heaven and earth?

For me, it means that I need to stop worrying about tomorrow, money, and perishable things. It means to be a disciple of Him, I need to put myself aside and take up my cross. If He really is the Christ, it’s time to trust in Him for my every need. After all, what God has done in the past is a model and a pattern of what He will do in the future. I’m sure I’ll come to my own Red Sea crossings, places with no water or food, and territories with giants, but it is my desire to be like Caleb and Joshua, and just trust God for what He has promised.

1 comment:

Brian Chisholm said...

Jared,
This morning, Christina read your blog entry and told me I should go and read what you wrote. I did, and it is almost a carbon copy of what she and I are dealing with in our lives right now. Of course the circumstances are different, but our Lord is the same. I too struggle the most in trusting Him with our finances, and believe it or not, Numbers 11, and Deut. 8 have been crucial in directing my walk lately with the Lord. In the Numbers passage, the people of Israel were complaining again and actually desiring to be back in Egypt for the food! They were not satisfied with God's provision of Manna, but gave in to intense craving, disregarding the fact that the Lord was taking care of them. For Christina and me, I realized that God has been taking care of our NEEDS, not necessarily our wants. God never promises to always meet our wants, but He does promise to meet our needs. In Deut.8, the Lord led Israel through the wilderness to humble and test them to see if there hearts were loyal to Him or not. I realized then that I too respond to trials and testing just like Israel. I whine and complain,not realizing that the Lord is testing my heart to see if I really desire to be found faithful. Only after He has provided do I realize the test. My prayer lately has been that I would learn from the example He set for us in the case of Israel and would welcome with thanksgiving the trials He brings along to test us.(I Thess. 5:16-18)
(James 1:2-4). There is also another verse that helps set me straight 2 Chronicles 16:9 "For the eyes of the LORD run to and fro throughout the whole earth; to show Himself strong on behalf of those whose heart is loyal to Him..." I pray always that our hearts would be loyal to Him. Sorry for rambling on so long. Thank you for the encouragement you give in your writing. look forward to hearing from you.

Chisholm