Friday, June 12, 2009

Votes are in 14:1!

The voting results say that you want to hear the details of the process of my new job and how God was in every moment. I know it’s a lot, but here you are…

First know that upon receiving the news that my position had been eliminated with Pfizer, I was deeply saddened. I thoroughly respected and admired my manager at the time and learned MUCH from him in a short amount of time. So, I took some time to be with Henry to enjoy his infancy.

In February I attended an invitation-only lunch meeting for displaced Pfizer reps. There I met a woman named Jude (pronounced Judy) Wardle. She is currently a District Manager for Pfizer. I’ve been keeping up with her during this transition. Keep this in mind, it will matter later…

I applied to this Hospice Company a while ago. To be honest, I don’t even remember when. A recruiter named Lori from Vitas called one Thursday to see if I was still interested/available in the position. After confirming that I was both interested and available, she set up a phone interview. She called and the interview was going really well, but I heard a baby cooing in the background. She apologized and began describing for me that her baby sitter was sick, so her daughter was home with her today. I then explained why the time from 1-3 was the best time to call…Henry’s nap time. One thing led to another and we started “mommy talk”, and I found out that her daughter was born 4 days after Henry! To say the least, we became fast friends. She said she didn’t want to wait to tell me, but that I’d moved onto the next level of a face-to-face interview. She said she’d let me know the time and day for that interview. I followed up with her appropriately on Friday and Monday. When she called on Tuesday, she explained that the manager had interviewed 3 other candidates and was probably going to fill the position with one of them; the main reason being that they had hospital experience. Upset with the news, I asked her to please keep me in mind if another position came up or if things didn’t work out.

The next day, I got a voicemail from Jude Wardle saying that she had spoken with Jack Reilly about my resume, potential job opportunity, and gave a wonderful reference. I called her back immediately, thanked her, and explained that I was grateful for the reference but I had no idea who Jack Reilly was. Later in the afternoon, Lori (Vitas recruiter) called and said that the 3 candidates were still in the mix but that I was wanted to interview face-to-face. She said that a man named Jack Reilly may be there!!! So I told her the story of my friend giving me the good reference.

I interviewed with my now manager – but still no Jack Reilly - , it went well, and she moved me to the next level. The next interview was set up for Thursday afternoon after another interview I had with a pharmaceutical company. I do not suggest 2 interviews in one day! I sat in the interview with my new manager, Jack Reilly, and another General Manager. Jack did most of the talking/questioning. It was a really difficult interview! He didn’t let me know for a second if he liked or disliked me. I mean, wouldn’t even crack!!! I walked out of that interview like, “What just happened?!?!” That night Jude Wardle called me at 8:00 to tell me that she and Jack had been talking about me for the last 45 minutes. She said that she didn’t know what I said but Jack was VERY impressed and said that I was a girl that knew what she wanted and will go places. She felt congratulations were in order. Tuesday morning after Memorial Day I was offered the position. Pay, benefits, flexibility…it was ALL there! So, I enjoyed EVERY minute of my last week at home with Doodle and started back in the workplace on Monday, June 1st.

God had this job for me and me only! He orchestrated every move, every thought, every question, and every answer. I know that God, in His infinite wisdom, worked all of these pieces of the puzzle of my life into His plan for me…Jeremiah 29:11.

1 comment:

The Faithful Reader said...

God is good--so good. I'm very happy for you; I've been wondering how things were coming for you on the employment front since the lay-off. Congratulations & best wishes.